Tuesday, 18 December 2007

Ein Deutscher?

Ok, So I just got the last piece of my jig saw puzzle in the mail from the Dept. of Homeland Security. I'm too sick & tired of hearing myself talk about this process and this bureau-crazy, I'm not going into it right now. It took over a year. For a form that belongs to my family.

Whatever. And, now once I get this to the Consulate and they in turn get it over to Cologne or Bonn or wherever, I become German.
Wow. So, its funny because I spent the weekend with people from all over Europe and this one girl from Germany. So, we're hanging out at the Quick (its McDonalds on the Continent) in front of the Gare du Nord train station in Paris and she tells me about how this girl told her how excited she was to go to Germany. My German friend asks her why and this girl says because they have such a wonderful sense of Humor ....
? German girl looked at her and said Seriously? She thinks that most Germans are the corniest people in the world. And, I sorta agree. However, there are some things we need to stand up and thank Germany for.
The most important in my mind is Fruhstuck. Breakfast. Nobody does it better.
(Don't you dare say anything, English peeps: your breakkie is made for beer hangovers)
Bread, cereal, cheese, yoghurt, coffee, THIS is something to wake up for!

Also, recycling. And, at the same time, the antithesis: Cars.

Yet, Comedy is not something Germany has had much to do with in the last 100 years or so. No, they (maybe WE) are not a humorous bunch.
Nein?

2 comments:

Frank Robbins, LEED AP said...

What about brot (bread) no one ever mentions it, but German bread is the best shit ever. Hell, Germans are the complex carbohydrade kinds as far as I'm concerned. German beer is great, though it's a lot better in Germany than when you get it in the States. I don't know what the hell that girl was talking about with the comedy. I spent a summer learning German and watching at least one German movie a day for seven weeks and I saw ONE, hear me ONE German comedy. It roughly translates to "The Changed Man" and it starred that actor that played the German guy in "SLC Punk" and it was indeed corny.

Congradulations on your upcoming Germanness.

REY said...

yes, congrats on becoming humorless...er...i mean, German.